The second ‘Avignon Dress’.
This shape has been an experiment for me as I haven’t worn anything similar before. And I’m still not sure about it. The original ‘Avignon Dress’ seems to suit me more as the fabric of the skirt has more drape so it isn’t as boofy around my bottom as this one.
It does get me thinking about the ‘perfect’ dress for my shape. After I finish the next project I’ve already started on I might just work on that more.
The top part is a cotton that I bought intending to make a sleeveless top. But I didn’t pay much attention and didn’t buy enough as it was only 100cm wide. Hence why I went with the different fabric for the back and made a yoke to visually link it with the front… and use up as much of the fabric as I could.
The skirt fabric is from about 3m of new fabric I found in an op-shop. I behaves like a polyester but has the feel of a stiff, woven cotton.
I really struggled with some parts of the construction in this one (read: lots of unpicking). Although I spent ages lining up the pattern for the centre front it didn’t work. After unpicking and trying again several times I gave up and put in the placket instead so that it didn’t have to line up as much. Even then I managed to stuff that up the first time and had to redo it. Luckily it still turned out ok.
Err… not much else to say about this dress really that I haven’t already said when I made the first version of this dress. I’m not in love with it like I am the first one, but that’s ok I’m already onto my next project which I’m excited about…